Saturday, February 16, 2019

Jumping feet first

Well, here I go.  Blogging.  Hm.  Let's see how this goes.

Some of you know me as a historian/researcher/re-enactor.  Some of your may not know me.  Well here I am.

What spurred my interest in researching women's material culture in the 18th century was after I read   a post that folks down South don't appreciate nor take the time to research material culture like those up North.  Yeah....as a transplanted southerner, I took offense and dove into the research pool so to speak.

For the past few years I have been collecting historical documentation about women's clothing in North Carolina.  Combing over women's inventories, wills and other historical documents, and what I am finding is pretty darn cool.   Women had expensive clothing, they had poor clothing, they had everything in between.  They also listed textiles as a commodity in their estates.  They also had jewelry and other accessories like bonnets, hats, cloakes, hoods, ribbons and etc.

Also looking at the inventories of store keepers and invoices of imported goods allows us to understand and debunk any of the myths as well that seem to float around in the historical community.

With the support of my friends and fellow historians including KittyCalash, I am blogging.  I wanted to do something along the lines of academia or presenting amongst the historical clothing community.  Maybe the blog will help me get noticed.  Maybe, maybe not.  But I want to share the knowledge that I have been finding.

So....here we go!




6 comments:

  1. Well done...

    NOTHING is as difficult and thankless as taking the lead in a new project, particularly one in a public forum. I have every confidence that you will be brilliant in this effort and look forward to you sharing the information you dig up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoot! Thank you for sharing your research!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the desire to get the attention of academia but for lay re-enactors like myself I appreciate the publishing out where people like me can get to it. Thanks I look forward to future offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess what I meant getting noticed not really by "academia" but the historical clothing community. I hope you enjoy the blog. Again, still trying to get the hang of it and how to put information out there without it seeming too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete